Monday, April 22, 2013

so get a log little doggies.

I'm not sure the images in this post are for the faint of heart.

Let's talk about Mushrooms. It was only a few years ago that mushrooms moved from the list of foods I would not touch with a ten-foot pole swiftly to the list of things I crave. CRAVE. 

Then one day I see something called a "Shitake Log" at the Capital Hill farmers' market and although I don't buy one, I obsessed about them until, nearly a year later, Patrick brought one home for Valentines Day. (This one from our local Feed Store, the Grange.)

This particular log,from Cascadia Mushrooms, looks less like a piece of wood and more like a loaf of bread someone made from the backend of a wood chipper. But that's not the point. The point is that you get it saturated with water, wait a couple of weeks, then you start to see little bumps pop out.


Then the little bumps become more pronounced, in kind of a creepy "HOW DID THAT GROW SO FAST" way.


Then even bigger, and lewder.


Bigger...


Bigger, and more populated...


Until all of a sudden you look at them and they are little mushrooms.  So that's where we stand today- adorable little mushrooms on a stump in the living room.

This is actually the third cycle on this log, so I know that soon the little mushroom group will look like this...


Then this...


And (this is where it gets gory) it will look like this...


Then this...



AND THEN I WILL EAT IT.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my god. I had no idea such a thing as this existed. I want one. Like, now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ALISON!!! This is so wonderful!! I want a mushroom log!

    ReplyDelete