Tuesday, August 14, 2012

that you don't have maps on your walls.

I have a wall-hanging-phobia. I usually just leave stuff stacked on the ground, or leave walls empty. After spending a few (COLD) nights in the guest room during the winter blackout I realized that the blank wall in there needed addressing.
So months later, I added some maps (get it? Maps? Addressing? hahaha)

I got a bunch of vintage maps from family a while back, and I love the character and colors. I chose three (Texas and Michigan to represent our roots, and Washington for obvious reasons) and popped them into Ikea frames (assisted by the lovely Kat, shown here) and hung them up before I could think about it too much.

It doesn't show in these pictures, but I love the feel of the guest room now. It's got this minimalist, relaxing feel. (Which Cooper also enjoys.)

I also added a topographical survey to the nightstand.

Remember the decorative fix for the closet door? It's still hanging in there- and it makes me happy.

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

and I'm having technical issues

No need to adjust your screen, or call Comcast again. I'm switching my site over, so photos might be missing for a bit.

Monday, August 6, 2012

Imma gonna be warm this winter.

The hot-hot-hot temperatures make this post extremely untimely. As you may know, we have a weird house built in the 70s in a Chalet Style. It has been poorly heated the whole time we've lived here, and so after a nearly 5 day power outage this winter, we decided to bite the bullet and install a wood burning store.

We don't ever do anything the normal way, so we decided to make a cast concrete stove pad, and inset it into the carpet (so I would never trip on it.) Eventually we will replace the carpet with something less... carpety.... but I think we'll keep the concrete pad.

The process of casting the concrete wasn't terrible- and after we saw the results we pledged to do more projects.

P made a mold out of veneered particle board.

We rented a little concrete mixer....

Poured a nice thick layer into the frame, knocked the sides to remove some of the bubbles, covered it, and let it set for a few days.

The result looked something like this. The side that was down against the wood came out smooth, with just a few air bubbles. 

The cats tried to help. Cooper even brought reinforcements.

Then we started carving into the multiple layers of strange flooring.

After a couple of adjustments, we slowly slid the pad in place. We still need to seal it, but I love the way it looks.

Voila. I am super excited to be warm this winter, come what may.

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

flower child.

The flowers above are one part

Crafting for Kittens class (where the lovely Laurie taught us to make crepe paper flowers), and one part

crafty day with the terrific Tara (who found this neato tutorial, and did her own thing to make some awesome poofs and flowers) (Pictured here without permission, bwahahaha.)

I can't follow directions, so I did my own thing using bits of all of it, with a little inspiration from the tissue paper tie-dye day. So here's how you'd make them, if you were me.

You will need a bunch of cheap supplies-
• A package of white coffee filters
• Scissors
• A set of liquid watercolors (above from Artist and Craftsmen in Seattle)
• A few bowls to dip into (they won't get ruined, no worries.)
• Floral Wire
• Wire cutters
• Floral Tape

Take a few coffee filters (1-6) and fold them in half over and over again, till you have a triangle.

Then trim the outside part of the triangle in curves, points, or anything you'd like. (The fun is in the 'sperimenting.) 

Pour the liquid watercolors into small dishes. Add water if you would like (not too much though, if you want rich colors.)

Dip one end into one color and let it slowly wick up the dye, then flip the folded filter and repeat in another color. I would recommend doing the lighter color first. You can also squeeze extra moisture out gently. 

Leave the pieces folded up, and allow to dry overnight. Make sure to leave airspace between your petal sets- they will transfer color if you aren't careful.

After dried, and opened, it should look something like this. Play with the number of filters you use- this one has 6, but I have even done a tiny single filter flower.

Measure out a double length of floral wire, folded at the end.

I have done some of these with button centers, and some without. If you are using a button, feed the wire through two of the holes, and leave the button at the doubled end.

Piece by piece, feed the filters onto the wires and bunch them up at the end.

After all your pieces are wired and bunched, start wrapping floral tape at the top. I usually do a couple of runs of tape directly under the petals, pushing them up as I go, then continue to wrap the stem all the way down. (Remember to stretch the tape to activate the adhesive.)

Rinse and repeat! But be warned...

if you have cats, you will have "help".